Re: erading MS word files

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 16:21 -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 07:08:54PM +0100, Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:

> > > Might be a bit unhandy because the dvi files do not include embedded
> > > graphics. Anyway, it should be perfectly OK to send out an OASIS Open
> > > Document file. If people do not want to (or cannot) install a program to
> > > read the file, then they can easily look up the specification on the
> > > web, uncompress the document and parse the XML directly themselves,
> > > right?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >           Florian
> > >
> > Hey, you are more evil than I am!
> >
> > I like this community.
> > --
> Hi Nyizsnyik,
> many folks use windows, using MS word on windows does not require that
> you save documents as .doc format and allows using rtf or ascii. If
> folks did this, we would not be required to go through hoops to exchange
> files. So by using .doc, it requires us to go through hoops, so asking
> someone to get a free and libre program that can read and write an open
> format is a more 'social' and 'friendly' thing to do than to ask us to
> support closed-source proprietary formats that do not act similarly
> social. I think it is 'evil' but not evil.
> cheers,
> Kev

I might have forgotten to include a smiley with that message; it was
certainly a joke. I understand the problem well, the action I referred
to as 'evil' was the one described by Florian. That is, to send them
documents in a format that is open-source and doesn't force one to spend
money on software that lets him or her read the contents - even more so
because it's "man-readable". But doing so would _still_ cause them a
headache because of their computer-illiteracy. (I don't blame them, I
blame the company that makes profit of this, so does everything to keep
people illiterate.) Otherwise I agree, teaching people to use standards
that are understood by everyone is a Good Thing. But it is useless
unless they realize that the statement "everyone uses Window$" is not
true.

PS: Nyizsnyik is my family name. I prefer my first name or my nick:
Nyizsa. Thanks.
--
Szia:
                        Nyizsa.