Re: Window managers-which one?

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:51:12 +0000
"B. Hoffmann" <dark.project@virgin.net> wrote:

> My question is which wm to use, as Gnome install metacity by default and
> I don't have experience with anything else.
>
> There's a lot of information on Google Groups and in the Debian
> archives, however I have a more specific question (bearing in mind this
> will be used as desktop and ratpoison is not an option).

Personally I prefer fluxbox, whether I am using it stand alone, with
KDE or with Gnome.

Currently I am mixing and matching stuff, starting what I want to run
from a .xsession file in my home directory. My .xsession file looks
like this:

# Begin .xsession
gnome-settings-daemon &
gnome-panel &
#skippy &
docker -iconsize 64 &
wmifs -i eth0 &
wmwave &
wmifs -i eth2 &
wmmon &
wmnetselect -e /usr/bin/firefox -t &
fbpager -w &
wallpaper-tray &
kmix &
kmixctrl --restore &
exec fluxbox
#End .xsession

Since I am using Gnome panel, visibility of the fluxbox panel is set to
false, and using kmix this way you have to edit
~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc setting Visible=false or kmix has this
annoying habit of popping up every time you log in instead of waiting
until you click it's tray icon.

Later, Seeker