Re: emacs manual and other missing info

Russell L. Harris wrote:
(1) Go to the Debian web site, find the package search page, search for "emacs21", "xemacs21-gnome-nomule", etc.,

I already tried this, and found nothing. I just tried again, and while there are no info files included with etch or sarge, there are a whole bunch in the old-stable repository.

(2) From Google search on the string "emacs manual":

  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html

I should have been clearer. I know the manuals are available directly from gnu. I was hoping there was a debian way to get them installed. There no longer is, as I have now discovered.

Kevin Mark wrote:

> it maybe that some of the manuals were reclassified as non-dfsg free >and
>were moved out of the main repositories. Many GFDL documents were
>reclassified for etch.

That appears to be the case, as confirmed in /usr/share/doc/emacs21-common/copyright:

So, now i'm going to download and install the manual myself. I guess it won't really be that helpful, seeing as it does include that distracting invariant section on copying, and it's not like emacs really needs a manual, it's so intuitive. At least it won't be for the same version I'm actually running.

Seriously, is there a list somewhere of all the GNU docs that Debian has expunged, or is it just a matter of stumbling on missing pieces and then installing them as you find them?

Cheers,

Tyle