Re: Diagnosing occassional random reboots

Mike McCarty wrote:

IMO, putting a different release on this machine is NOT recommended,
and should be deferred until it is running stably again. I prefer
trying to fix one problem at a time. If you install new software
and it acts up, then is it the new software? Is it the old hardware
getting worse? Or both? Or what?

Um, if the current release is the problem, then it will never run stably again. More to the point, it's easy to test. It's already rebooted twice this evening on 2.6.17, and I'll leave it for another 24 hours. The reboots seem to happen in chunks. Then I'll default it to the 2.4.27 kernel and see what happens. If it wasn't for the fact that I had a reproducible problem with 2.4/2.6 kernels two years ago I wouldn't be considering this step.

Dougie