Re: Diagnosing occassional random reboots

Dougie Nisbet wrote:

A server which has been running steadily for years is beginning to reboot. To the best of my knowledge, nothing has changed. It is a dual-processor PIII. It runs stable.

[snip]

Sounds like a hardware problem. I suggest shutting down, powering
down, then unplugging. Open the case, and disconnect/reconnect
all connections. This means removing and reseating all memory,
all power connectors, disc cables, expansion cards, etc.

Do not omit to unplug the machine before opening the case.

Vacuum out all dust and lint. Try to vacuum out the power supply.

DO NOT OPEN THE POWER SUPPLY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES UNLESS YOU
KNOW HOW TO SERVICE SWITCH MODE POWER SUPPLIES.

Those supplies have capacitors which can store lethal charges for weeks. They are not dangerous in and of themselves, and I routinely repair such
kinds of equipment, but ordinary people who are not aware of proper
safety procedure should not open them.

DO NOT POKE ANYTHING CONDUCTIVE INTO ONE, for purposes of dislodging
lint. Using a vacuum cleaner is a good idea, however.

If the CPUs are socketed, then while touching the case, release
the CPU socket hold-down levers, and reseat the CPUs.

Button everything up, plug in, and reboot. Then watch the machine
to see whether it will stay up.

If the symptoms persis, then start looking for a new machine,
as this one is likely to fail soon.

IMO, putting a different release on this machine is NOT recommended,
and should be deferred until it is running stably again. I prefer
trying to fix one problem at a time. If you install new software
and it acts up, then is it the new software? Is it the old hardware
getting worse? Or both? Or what?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.