Re: Odd dhcpcd behaviour

* Rick Thomas (rbthomas55@pobox.com) wrote:

> The program that gets an IP address for an interface is dhclient, not
> dhcpd.  FWIW, dhcpd is the server.  I'm not sure why your system is
> running dhcpd at all.  But the reason you don't have it when you have
> no ethernet connection is probably that it fails if it can't find a
> live network interface.

This is very strange and confusing, but I think I may have it worked
out now.  Dhcpcd is listed via apt-cache as "DHCP client for
automatically configuring IPv4 networking" and that does sound like
what I should have running.  I certainly want the automatically
configured client, and dhcpcd is what would have run under Slackware.
It also has worked since I installed it, at least sometimes, under
Debian.  But, in doing a search in apt-cache I also found dhcp-client,
which is described, very helpfully, as "DHCP Client".  On a lark I
tried installing this and was told that dhcpcd would be removed.

Since I have the deb for dhcpcd on my computer now, from the last
problem, I went ahead and installed dhcp-client and rebooted, and
found that I am still connected.  Still nothing happening during boot
which would indicate that it is actually being configured, and nothing
shown in dmesg either.  But, it does seem to work, and perhaps now it
will work with every boot.  Can't figure out what exactly the
differences between these "clients" is, but the automatic one would
seem less than automatic.

> I don't know why your interface is failing to come up, but next time
> it does, try this:
>
> ifdown eth0
> sleep 5
> ifup eth0

Quite excellent.  This is probably what I needed, and if it happens
again I will certainly try it.  Many thanks for this.

Patrick