Re: ethernet howto

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 11:02 +1100, M-L wrote:

> I just want to be able to get from one of my machines into the other, to
> transfer a few files and that's it.
>
> Can someone please give me a hint where I can find a simple howto to do this.

Charlie,

AoE (ATA over Ethernet) would be the easiest route to do it. Please let
the list know your comfort level when playing via command line and I (or
someone else) would be happy to write a short tutorial on how to get
going with it.

Are you looking for a way to "Share" a drive so many systems can read
and write to it at once? Or will most systems be accessing the shared
disk in a read only fashion?

AoE + ocfs2 come stock in newer kernels, setup is rather simple and its
much faster than NFS. This allows for many systems to share (read and
write) to a single partition at once.

If more of a read only configuration, AoE would suffice. Either way
you're looking at less than 40 minutes to get it going even without much
prior experience.

Best,
-Tim