emacs and mutt

Hi,

I've got mutt up and running (although I'm still using thunderbird for mailing lists/newsgroups, hopefully not much longer). One problem I've run into is that I can't convince it to open emacs in text-mode. I've got text-mode set-up for auto-fill, which I like using for sending mail. However, I have not been able to get it to open automatically in the mode. I've googled here and elsewhere and found numerous options that should work, but none do.

Specifically, what I've tried in my .muttrc:

set editor="emacs -f text-mode"

set editor="emacs --eval '(text-mode)'"

set editor="emacs --eval '(turn-on-auto-fill)'"

All of these work from the command line. None of them work in .muttrc. Curiously,

set editor="emacs -nw"

does in fact work from the command line and from mutt.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Tyle