networked printer "is busy, will retry in 30 seconds"

I've trawled google, but everyone else's problems seem to be either
windoze/mac related or to be with a printer attached to another host.

I've just acquired a recond. hp laserjet 5 with a network card.  My son
has printed to it over the network from a 'doze host, so I know it
works.  But when I try to print from a debian host I get
"Network host '192.168.0.5' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds..."

This regardless of whether I use the ip address or the hostname of the
printer on the network, and regardless of whether I add "/ipp" to the
host URL in the cups setup.  I tried both the drivers offered by CUPS
(one foomatic and one gutenprint) to no avail. If it's relevant I'm
running etch and cups is version 1.2.4-1.

I'm not sure how to proceed.

--
richard