RE: request for VMware image of Etch beta 3 release minimal netinstall

Stephen Yorke wrote:
> I will repost this tonight and undo these minor annoyances as well as
> put a README in the ZIP with pertinent information about the
> image...this was just a quick and dirty, someone needed it and I
> created it type of thing...also I will include the VMTools but will
> not install them in a directory on the VM.

A few more suggestions:

1.  Comment out the CD line in /etc/apt/sources.list:

        # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot
 i386 Binary-1 (20060928)]/ etch main

    This is the other half of the CD-ROM issue.

2.  Install ssh.  I typically fire up a virtual machine in VMware
player, and then open up several Cygwin Bash shells and ssh in.

3.  I was moving in with my favorite goodies, and noticed that Perl's
Data::Dumper is missing.  This is strange, as that module is part of the
core Perl distribution.  Checking for Perl:

        2006-10-01 14:26:16 root@ETCH ~
        # perl -v

        This is perl, v5.8.8 built for i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi

    Perl is present, but I decided to try installing it to see what
happens:

        2006-10-01 14:28:41 root@ETCH ~
        # apt-get install perl
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree... Done
         perl-modules
        Suggested packages:
         libterm-readline-gnu-perl libterm-readline-perl-perl
        Recommended packages:
          perl-doc
          perl perl-modules
        0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
        Need to get 5876kB of archives.
        After unpacking 25.8MB of additional disk space will be used.
        Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
        Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org etch/main perl-modules 5.8.8-6.1
[2309kB]
        Get:2 http://ftp.debian.org etch/main perl 5.8.8-6.1 [3567kB]
        Fetched 5876kB in 36s (162kB/s)
        Selecting previously deselected package perl-modules.
       (Reading database ... 11093 files and directories currently
installed.)
        Unpacking perl-modules (from .../perl-modules_5.8.8-6.1_all.deb)
        Selecting previously deselected package perl.
        Unpacking perl (from .../perl_5.8.8-6.1_i386.deb) ...
        Setting up perl-modules (5.8.8-6.1) ...
        Setting up perl (5.8.8-6.1) ...

    Interesting.  It looks like Perl was in there, but the "perl" and
"perl-module" packages weren't (?).  This must be an Etch thing (I've
only used Sarge and Woody up until now).

I think #1 is worth doing, but the others might not fit into a concept
of "pure Etch beta 3 release virtual machine".

You should look into posting the zip file on VMware's site -- they have
the room and the bandwidth, and that's the place where people are going
to go looking for this sort of thing anyway.

Thanks again!  :-)

HTH,

David