Re: Delete part of metapackage?

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 01:23:26PM +0000, Elmer E. Dow wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'm loading Sarge onto a donated computer at a school for K through
> grade 2. The hard drive has only a 2.2 GB capacity, so once I load
> the KDE and Gnome metapackages I only have about 120 MB left.
>
> The kids don't need all of this software, but it seems that I can't
> delete or install individual programs (knode, for example) without
> deleting or installing the entire KDE metapackage. Is that correct?

							^^^No.
> Is there a way around this?

Yes. I'm guessing you are using aptitude to manage the package installs.
If so, read on. If not aptitude, you need help from someone else.

For aptitude: Use
apt-get remove <a metapackage name>

Then you can remove select packages in aptitude without questions about
the metapackage getting in your way.

Also, consider getting rid of either gnome or kde. In a situation in
which you can't afford a larger hard disk, you hardly need both, IMHO.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net