Re: Install Unstable package into Stable system? (was: Handling apt-get, apt-cdrom, sources.list, cdroms.list)

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 11:38:06AM +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I perchance need install the latest version of xpdf-reader,
> the one included in unstable and testing repositories,
> in my Sarge stable system.
> This is not possible with simply `dpkg -i ...' because of dependence
> problems.
> In general: isn't it possible, it seems, to install an `unstable' package into
> a `stable' system without changing sources.list, i.e. without upsetting
> the `Stable' structure?
>
> I'm new with Debian, excuse the basic question.

Becuase of how long it has been since Sarge was released, it is
practically impossible to install any package that requires compilation
from unstable or testing into stable.  You can backport the package
yourself.  I have a written a HOWTO on the subject:

http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez