Re: Install Unstable package into Stable system?

Hello Rodolfo.

> I perchance need install the latest version of xpdf-reader, the one included in
> unstable and testing repositories, in my Sarge stable system. This is not possible with
> simply `dpkg -i ...' because of dependence problems. In general: isn't it possible, it
> seems, to install an `unstable' package into a `stable' system without changing
> sources.list, i.e. without upsetting the `Stable' structure?

Basically all you have to do is to add unstable- and testing-entries to your sources.list,
do an „apt-get update“ and then „apt-get install packagename=version“ or „apt-get install
packagename -t distribution“. (See the manpage of apt-get of course.)

But mixing distributions is neither recommended nor supported and if your system breaks
(which is very likely to happen), you are on your own.

Let’s have a look at the dependendies of xpdf-reader from unstable:

> Depends: lesstif2, libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1. 0),
> libice6, libpaper1, libsm6, libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.0), libt1-5 (>= 5.0.2), libx1 1-6,
> libxext6, libxp6, libxpm4, libxt6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), gsfonts (>= 6.0-1),
> xpdf-common (= 3.01-9)

Seeing this you should see that installing this package would change *your whole system*,
because of the dependency on a new version of libc6, on of the most important packages on
your system.

And you don’t have luck: there seems to be no package on bpo[0], but you could ask
somebody on the mailinglist[1], if they could rebuild xpdf-reader for sarge.

To put it short: If you don’t want to upgrade to unstable/testing or use a non-supported
mixed system, forget about it. Really.

Regards, Mathias

[0] http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php