Re: Which package does hardware detection?

Christopher Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 06:25:43PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
>
>> What's the proper Debian package nowadays for auto-detecting/setup of
>> hardware? (I also tried udev, but it complains about needing a newer
>> kernel; the kernel was not replaced in my tinkering as mentioned above.)
>>

> How up-to-date is the kernel?  udev should be the right tool, and if it
> complains about the kernel version, a new kernel might be in order.  The
> debian one in unstable should work with the udev in unstable, as should
> (as I use) a sufficiently recent 2.6 kernel.org one.

2.6.11

However, after sending my question to the list, I decided just upgrading
to 2.6.17-2 might solve my issues, and it did.

So I assume udev did the magic, once it had a kernel recent enough to
work with.

(I've never figured out the relationships between udev, discover,
hotplug and maybe a couple others that don't quite come to mind at the
moment.)

--
Kent