Re: Annoying iptables console logging

On 23.08.06 12:59, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> >> Since that didn't worked i KILLed both syslogd and klogd. I still kept
> >> getting msgs to console.
> >
> > they are not sent by syslog process. They are sent by kernel.
>
> Chmm, nazdar Matúši, I thought that "k" in sysklogd means, that sysklogd
> should manage kernel messages as well?

klogd only fetches messages from kernel and pushes them to syslogd (well, it
can decode some informations, but that's irelevant). sysklogd was a package
containing both syslogd and klogd, they are separate now.

> And yes, I hate these messages as well.

those messages are printed by kernel to the current console(s).
'dmesg -n' configures messages of which level to print to the console(s).
They all are still send to kmsg, where syslogd,syslog-ng or klogd read them
from.

syslog-ng (I use it) startup script can set up that level, configured in
/etc/default/syslog-ng. I have set it to 4:

# log level of messages which should go to console
# see klogctl(8) or <linux/kernel.h> for details
#
CONSOLE_LOG_LEVEL=4

Emacs is a complicated operating system without good text editor.