Re: Highlighting and annotating PDFs?

Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> However, in these two tests, the text is copy-and-pastable, as text. So
> the problem is not that the PDF is drawn as images. Actually, in the
> scribus PDF, I can search a few smaller substrings (like "xt" in my
> sample text "test text").

The problem is that original PDF supported only character set covering
Western European languages. So to print my name (Matěj) in PDF (and DVI
which is and will ever be limited to 8-bit) TeX used to write commands
like "print e and then print hook sign above it". Such constructs ARE NOT
images, but they are not searchable either.

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

The function of the expert is not to be more right than other
people, but to be wrong for more sophisticated reasons.
    -- Dr. David Butler, British psephologist