Re: Highlighting and annotating PDFs?

Le lundi 14 août 2006 à 11:56 +0100, George Borisov a écrit :
> martin f krafft wrote:
> >
> > skencil (which was sketch) does not seem to import either. pstoedit,
> > well, what should I say, it kinda works, except my 120 kb 20 page
> > test paper is now a 24 Mb file and no longer searchable with xpdf.
>
> Probably because most (if not all) free PDF-generating programs
> take the easy way of creating PDFs i.e. exporting it as an
> image-like (sorry don't know exactly what it is) file.

Fortunately, this statement is as false as can be. Under GNU/Linux, the
easy way of creating a PDF from whatever is to print to PS and then run
ps2pdf on the output. The resulting PDF is of good quality, searchable,
and often smaller than the input PS. Using LaTeX, you can even embed
movies in your PDF's (they won't show in acroread for linux though, only
under windows and MacOS).

What probably happened to martin is that his letters were converted to
individual vector objects (Bézier curves), using many points instead of
one byte for each character. pstoedit is a nice tool, but I didn't check
whether it was fit for text documents (or how to make it fit for them).

Thibaut.