RE: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards

On Monday, August 07, 2006 7:33 AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> I also heard that at that time the Intel chips were
> available on motherboards, but not on plug-in cards.
>
> Has the situation changed?

Not as far as I know.  If they have made any PCI-E graphics chips, they
have not yet achieved any market penetration.  Integrated graphics
motherboard chipsets use main memory for the video frame buffer and soak
up main memory bandwidth.  This was a bad idea when Apple first did it
and it's still a bad idea today, but it _is_ cheap.  That being said,
integrated graphics motherboard chipsets do a reasonable job for many 2D
applications.

Still, a little bit of extra resources on the motherboard would be
extremely cost-effective and you would then have little incentive to buy
a separate graphics card, unless you were a hard-core gamer.  Since most
motherboard vendors also produce graphics cards that sell for more than
the motherboard, you can see why this is not done.  This creates a real
problem for open-source projects, since nVidia and ATI graphics chips
dominate the market for even mid-range graphics cards.  Since the
end-users we need to interest, if we are ever to break out of the expert
niche, will run X and use GUI's for everything, being limited to low-end
2D performance will be an ongoing problem.

--
Seth Goodman