Re: dpkg: syntax error: unknown group `Debian-exim' in statusoverride file

Mumia W. wrote:

> On 08/07/2006 04:49 AM, kevin bailey wrote:
>> [...]
>> Preconfiguring packages ...
>> dpkg: syntax error: unknown group `Debian-exim' in statusoverride file
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
>> Ack!  Something bad happened while installing packages.  Trying to
>> recover:
>
> Somehow, a status override was set to the group Debian-exim,
> but the group was never created. You might be able to create
> the group, or you could remove the status override.
>
> FYI, on my system, the Debian-exim group has a gid of 102.
>

>> Thanks for any quick pointers.
>>
>> As this is a vanilla install I may just go to the site and reinstall the
>> OS.
>>

> Or you could just do that :)
>
>> Debian has never given me this type of problem before so it may be
>> something weird or something I've done.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> Perhaps an install was interrupted.

Maybe...

I deleted the contents of the /var/lib/dpkg/statoverride file and the
packages can now be updated and the error does not show.

I'm not entirely comfortable with this - will need to look further into the
statoverride file to see what it does.

Thanks for your help,

Kevin