Re: dpkg: syntax error: unknown group `Debian-exim' in statusoverride file

On 08/04/2006 06:06 AM, kevin bailey wrote:
Hi,

I'm getting the following from a vanilla install of sarge.

Any pointers gratefully received - obviously I want to be careful and not
screw up the dpkg system.

Thanks,

Kev

psctbdc2:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
  apache apache-common apache2-utils dhcp-client gnupg libapr0 libgd2-noxpm
7 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2011kB/3671kB of archives.
After unpacking 106kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main gnupg 1.4.1-1.sarge5
[1909kB]
Get:2 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main dhcp-client
2.0pl5-19.1sarge2 [102kB]
Fetched 2011kB in 17s (117kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
dpkg: syntax error: unknown group `Debian-exim' in statusoverride file

That's a weird error because, AFAIK, none of the packages you were updating depend upon exim.

Perhaps you forgot to do an "aptitude upgrade" before the "aptitude dist-upgrade." If you continue to get the error, do this:

aptitude search '~Dexim' | less

and see if any of the packages that show up are in the list you were trying to upgrade.

PS.
That aptitude search command lists packages that depend upon exim.