Re: CUPS dependencies

Johan Kullstam <kullstj-ml@comcast.net> writes:

[CUPS]
> I am still a bit disturbed by the "web interface" and punching in my
> root password at my browser (even if it was just local).

Just add yourself to the "lpadmin" group and use your own username and
password.

> I am already running a firewall.  It is easy to allow/restrict
> access with iptables (once you have the firewall infrastructure in
> place).

You can also restrict admin access to particular hosts, subnets, DNS
domains/subdomains, etc, and allow passwordless admin access for
trusted hosts/networks.  You can do the same thing for normal access,
too.

> FWIW what I really hate is when portmap, fam &c get dragged in by some
> random dependency.

That's not (AFAICT) a direct or indirect CUPS dependency.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.