Re: CUPS dependencies

Jan Willem Stumpel <jstumpel@planet.nl> writes:

> I have been using lpr (later lprng) without any problems, since 1995,
> using many different kinds of printers (whether connected to my own
> Linux box, or shared through a 'home network' with Windows PC's).

I hear you.  I was thinking the same thing.  I have been running lprng
since frog knows.

> However, more and more Debian packages seem intent to force me to use
> CUPS. I don't need CUPS, therefore I don't want CUPS; and when I see
> the many messages on this list by people having problems with CUPS, I
> always count myself lucky for simply using lprng. But many Debian
> packages install CUPS components, because of dependencies.

I finally bit the bullet and did CUPS last week.  Actually, it was
fairly painless.  I found config to be easier that with lprng.  And
really, CUPS doesn't seem stupendously heavyweight.

Firefox will now select amongst my printers (which it didn't do with
lprng).

I am still a bit disturbed by the "web interface" and punching in my
root password at my browser (even if it was just local).  I am already
running a firewall.  It is easy to allow/restrict access with iptables
(once you have the firewall infrastructure in place).

FWIW what I really hate is when portmap, fam &c get dragged in by some
random dependency.

Is there a way to specify "don't ever try to install this package" to
apt?

I am not sure this help you much, but sometimes it's nice to know
others share your pain.

--
Johan KULLSTAM