Re: Net-install CD: What it does to existing partitions and installations

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 10:32:01AM +0900, Ian Astley wrote:
> I currently run a Linux machine under Fedora Core 5. I am interested in
> having a look at Debian too and downloaded and burnt the Net-install CD
> from the main site, with a view to compiling a Debian kernel which I
> would then have nominated in GRUB alongside the existing FC5 kernels I
> have. The CD booted as it should but when I got to the partitioning
> options I was not too sure exactly what it would do to the existing
> partitions (which it identified correctly), since the on-screen
> directions did not explicitly state that my existing installation would
> be left unharmed. Fedora and SuSE, both of which I have, are much
> clearer about this stage in the installation process. Could anyone
> clarify this please? I downloaded the Net-install CD because I did not
> want to go through the rigmarole of downloading a full set of CDs when
> conceivable I would only need a fraction of the data in the first
> instance.

As others have already said, you can keep any pre-existing OSs by
choosing manual partitioning during Debian install. Here, I'll give
a tip about the partitioner user interface. The interface is
somewhat confusing to a first time user. To make a change you
hilite the item that you wish to change and press 'return'.
Pressing return selects that item for editing. It brings up another
menu in which you actually get a chance to change the value, but
by this time the original value is gone from view.

If this is confusing, well yes. This is confusing.

However, don't worry. Nothing gets changed on disk until you say
OK, make changes twice.

If you want to mount the partitions containing other OS when Debian
is in charge, you should be careful to ensure that you select
'keep original data'. If you don't try to have Debian mount the
partitions, they will not be touched.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net