Net-install CD: What it does to existing partitions and installations

I currently run a Linux machine under Fedora Core 5. I am interested in having a look at Debian too and downloaded and burnt the Net-install CD from the main site, with a view to compiling a Debian kernel which I would then have nominated in GRUB alongside the existing FC5 kernels I have. The CD booted as it should but when I got to the partitioning options I was not too sure exactly what it would do to the existing partitions (which it identified correctly), since the on-screen directions did not explicitly state that my existing installation would be left unharmed. Fedora and SuSE, both of which I have, are much clearer about this stage in the installation process. Could anyone clarify this please? I downloaded the Net-install CD because I did not want to go through the rigmarole of downloading a full set of CDs when conceivable I would only need a fraction of the data in the first instance.

Many thanks in advance,

Ian Astley
tokyoi at mac com