Re: Really stupid mutt question

Kevin Coyner wrote:
> There are plenty of great email clients out there.  But I like mutt
> because:

Yes, there are -- and just not to let this thread be just mutt propaganda,
let me comment as a KMail user (who used mutt for many years, so I know
what I am talking about):

>     1. It is infinitely configurable.

KMail may not be inifinetly configurable, but I was able to replicate my
pretty complicated mutt settings with it, and the result is much more
maintainable (because some brutal hacks -- like pre-processing messages
with procmail -- could be isolated to just few places, and the rest is
obvious).

>     2.  I don't have to use a mouse.  I can keep my hands on the
>     keyboard the entire time.

The same.

>     3.  It is easy to use via ssh, which I do all the time.  And
>     while you can use a GUI based email client remotely, the further
>     away you get from the server, the slower things become.  Not
>     really a problem using ssh/mutt.

OK, I would have to do ssh -X and the result wouldn't be the same, so this
is a point against mutt. But I can love without it pretty happily.

>     4.  It handles news groups just fine with threads.

The same.

> There are pluses and minuses for all the email clients out there,
> whether GUI or CLI.  It really comes down to what you are
> comfortable with.

Amen.

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

He has the attention span of a lightning bolt.
      -- Robert Redford