Re: Alsa stopped working in Etch (Testing)

Chris Lale wrote:
I updated Etch (Testing) today and sound (alsa-base 1.0.11-2) stopped working. I installed the version from Unstable (alsa-base 1.0.11-3) which has the same dependencies and reloaded /etc/init.d/alsa, but no luck.
There seems to be a conflict with Gnome software sound mixing (ESD) if Gnome system sounds are enabled. Here is a partial solution: start a Gnome session and run alsaconf in a root terminal. The soundcard will then run for the rest of the session only (having unloaded all sound processes including, presumably, ESD). In subsequent sessions, only the system sounds work, not sound apps like Xmms, Audacity, etc. If the ESD is disabled in Desktop -> Preferences -> Sound, sound apps will continue to drive the card across sessions and re-boots. (Of course, there are no longer any system sounds.)

kernel 2.6.16-2-486
alsa-base 1.0.11-4
gnome-core 1:2.12.3
soundcard Trust SC-5250 (514DX) replacing SoundBlaster Live!5.1 which had the same problem driver 00:0e.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)

Is this a bug? If so, can anyone suggest which package should I report it against?

Thanks,
Chris.