Re: Confused about installations - overlaying a "testing" package into a "stable" install

On (01/08/06 17:10), K. Richard Pixley wrote:
> Hello.  I'm a long time unix/linux geek, debian newbie.  And I'm
> confused about installs.

OK :)

> I understand that the "stable" distribution line is intended to be a
> series of integrated packages.

sarge, the current stable, is a rock solid platform for servers and
workstations where you aren't bothered about bleeding edge
functionality.  The only updates are security patches.

> I understand that "testing" is a set of newer packages, which have met a
> set of stability criterion which make them plausible candidates for an
> upcoming "stable" release, presuming they survive a burn in period.

etch (testing) is a collection of packages which have been tested in sid
(unstable) and which will form the next stable release.

> So I have a stable installation.  And I'm interested in trying/using a
> particular package from "testing".

Testing packages are likely to break your stable system or won't run.
If you don't want to upgrade to testing try a backport:
http://backports.org

> Must I create an entirely fresh "testing" install?  Or should I be able
> to simply overlay my package of interest by adding lines for the
> "testing" repositories in my /etc/apt/sources.list and doing "apt-get
> update && apt-get install newpackage"?

http://backports.org/instructions.html

Regards

Clive