RE: Apache2 Manhattan Virtual Classroom

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 22:59 -0400, Cary Pembleton wrote:
> Ok Roberto,
> Fair enough, I think we both want to accomplish the same thing here. A) find
> answers to our problems. B) Try and help others find answers to their
> problems. C) Be as courteous as possible when trying to achieve A&B. I think
> my frustration with the new distribution learning curve may be perhaps
> getting to me. I think I am just going to step away for a few days. I have
> looked at the "list" of consultants. I may even try that avenue, but I would
> really like to be able to solve this on my own, with a little help from my
> friends.
>

> Cary Pembleton
> IT Consultant
> PC Tech Help, LLC
> 32 Cove Lane
> Campbellsville, KY 42718
> (270) 789-0187 Office
> http://www.pctechhelp.net

Hi.
I think that there are two types of issues here:  1) apache2 and 2) The
"Debian Way" (tm) of making apache2 serve up web pages.  I think that
the first thing is to make a file that implements the virtual host.
This is an apache2 problem,  see eg the O'Reilly book "Apache The
Definitive Guide" (my edition (3rd) is pretty thin on apache2, so look
before you buy).  Then put this file into
"/etc/apache2/sites_available", and link to it in the directory
"/etc/apache2/sites_enabled, see /usr/share/doc/apache2/README.etc.

Then if your firewall provides access to port 80
and if the world's name servers know your site name's address
you should be able to see at least the Debian supplied default page.