Re: new Package of the Day features

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 01:26:20AM -0700, Aaron Maxwell wrote:
> Hey, here's a neat app I just discovered five minutes ago via POTD:
> http://potd.redsymbol.net/?p=dog
> Cool!  It's working for me already :)
>
> On Wednesday 05 July 2006 02:46 pm, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > the bottom of the p.d.o pages provide a variety of links, some of
> > which actually go upstream, and that's probably where the real use

I"m sorry, I was remembering incorrectly. I can't find any, in a few
minutes of searching , that go upstream. Even manually spidering my
way in a few levels reveals no non-debian links. I'm kind of surprised
frankly. I'd think it would be easier to get upstream...

> > is.   [snip]  MAybe there's a way to grep the
> > p.d.o pages for useful links if they occur? just thought.
> That's a really good idea.  I could make it so that a script would
> scrape the p.d.o page for the new package each hour.  Andrew, can you
> point out a p.d.o page or pages that contain links like that?  The few
> I looked at did not really contain any ([2], for example)
>
> I think one way to generalize the issue is, how can I (as the POTD
> visitor/user) learn or experience more about this package that
> intrigues me?  It's a little tricky because the answer to that question
> depends on (a) the package and (b) the user.  Take the package "dog",
> above, as an example.  (It's like cat, but can fetch a file via http
> and do other tricks.)  I read the description, and immediately
> understood what it could do for me.  I really didn't need any more
> background information.

exactly. probably the easiest way is to provide some generic links to
google and to wikipedia with the search terms taken from the package
name.

> The ideal, I think, would be if I could put a "Learn more..." link below
> the package description, which would magically take the user somewhere
> that s/he could learn about the wider context and connections of the
> package. Perhaps I could make POTD discover any Wikipedia page for the
> app, and use that as the link.  Thoughts, anyone?
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethereal_%28software%29
>
> [2] http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/drupal

yeah, I think that's the best way. or again, just a google search. I
find that a google with the package name and "Linux" puts the upstream
pages right near the top most of the time. And if it didn't, the user
would then at least see that google is a good way to find this stuff
and would be beyond simple for you to impliment.