Re: new Package of the Day features

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 01:22:57PM -0700, Aaron Maxwell wrote:
> On Monday 03 July 2006 01:46 pm, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 09:35:58AM -0700, Aaron Maxwell wrote:
> > > ... aaand now there's an RSS feed.
> > cool, now how about making the package title a link to
> > packages.debian.org? then we can peruse more details easily...
>
> I've thought about it... linking it like that doesn't quite feel right,
> because for most users the information on p.d.o doesn't ADD much in
> terms of discovering new and interesting software (which is the whole
> point - it should answer, "How can this package benefit me / enhance my
> life?").  (Though one might argue that it would be interesting to know
> the suggests, depends, packages with similar tags, etc.)  An ideal
> would be if the package title linked to an informative homepage.  If I
> can come up with some way to automate that...  Obviously my vision is
> to make it simple (think google.com, not yahoo.com).  It might be good
> to put the p.d.o link somewhere else, like along the bottom.

the bottom of the p.d.o pages provide a variety of links, some of
which actually go upstream, and that's probably where the real use
is. ISTM, that since there is such a broad range of packages and one
will theoretically be see number of packages about which one know
NOTHING, that even the p.d.o page is better than naught. And, a lot of
this stuff 9at least by me) is learned through osmosis. The more one
read the more one understands. MAybe there's a way to grep the p.d.o
pages for useful links if they occur? just thought.