Re: how to redirect sound

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 02:10:42PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
> "Lubos Vrbka" <lubos.vrbka@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [🔎] 44ABE7C6.6030104@gmail.com">news:[🔎] 44ABE7C6.6030104@gmail.com...
> >belahcene abdelkader wrote:
> >>Hi, every body
> >>I am using a set of thin client (neoware) connected to
> >>a llinux server, I want to redirect the audio to the
> >>client. It exists probably the way to do that in "same
> >>way" as the image. i mean the user logs on a thin
> >>client  on the remote server, and he receives the
> >>graphics on his terminal, ( the xdm does this in
> >>fact). the question is : there a procedure to redisrect the
> >>sound to the sound devices on the thin client instead
> >>of  running it on the server?
> >i am sure you can use esound (enlightened sound daemon) to perform this
> >task. i have, although, never done that. so my only advice would be to
> I can confirm this. I have used ESD under cygwin for this porpose. Actually
> the remote machine was a VMware virtual machine running on the client
> computer, so I don't rember why I did not just let VMware take care of the
> sound, but I can definately confrim that it works.

Isn't ESD and the like more intended as a way of sharing a sounds device
between several applications?

I am using an original 'thin client', in the form of an NCD X terminal, at
the moment, and the solution there is an audio architecture called NAS
which works almost the same way as X.

It works very well, but the applications have to use the special libraries
which map audio calls to network packets (the same way Xlib translates
calls to it into network packets).

If you don't have source to your application, there are workarounds such
as using a library wrapper which intercepts open calls which reference
"/dev/audio" - I think this is what facilities like ESD do.

I used this to get skype going on my NCD at one point.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com