Re: Sending mail takes ages.

On Tuesday, 04.07.2006 at 17:56 +0100, Pete Clarke wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a Debian sarge mailserver, running exim4-daemon-heavy,
> courier-pop/imap etc.
>
> When collecting email or using IMAP everything runs very well indeed,
> however, when sending mail from a standard client (OE, Squirrelmail, Kmail,
> Evolution, OSX mail app etc.) there is a long delay, upto a minute, before
> the authentication process kicks in and the mail is sent.
>
> I am authenticating against an LDAP server (which is running on the same
> box), all other authentications (PAM,  Samba etc.) are instantaneous, it's
> just sending mail that takes forever.

You sure it's the authentication that's taking the time?  A delay of a
minute sounds suspiciously like a DNS timeout of some kind.  Is the
server able to resolve the hostname(s) of the connecting clients?

Dave.

--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org