Sending mail takes ages.

Hi all,

I have a Debian sarge mailserver, running exim4-daemon-heavy, courier-pop/imap etc.

When collecting email or using IMAP everything runs very well indeed, however, when sending mail from a standard client (OE, Squirrelmail, Kmail, Evolution, OSX mail app etc.) there is a long delay, upto a minute, before the authentication process kicks in and the mail is sent.

I am authenticating against an LDAP server (which is running on the same box), all other authentications (PAM, Samba etc.) are instantaneous, it's just sending mail that takes forever.

I have googled, but to to avail.. any ideas?

Cheers,

Pete.