Re: changing icon theme in debian without a DE installed?

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 17:46:39 -0400
Nick Lidakis <nlidakis@verizon.net> wrote:

I've tried Googling this to no avail. I have the file manager Thunar installed. I'm trying to figure out how to change the icons that
Thunar (or all of my GTK2 apps for that matter, e.g. Abiword) is
using. It seems to using the the stock gnome icons I have installed.
I don't have Gnome or Xfce installed. GTK2-theme switch is installed,
but that just changes the GTK theme from ./themes. Apt-cache search
reveals nothing similar to GTK2-theme-switcher.

Any ideas?

Create a file called ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (just for yourself)
or /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc (for all users) and add the following line:

    gtk-icon-theme-name="Industrial"

to use the Industrial icon theme, for example. Any GTK2 icon theme
installed into /usr/share/icons will do. A lot of GTK2 properties can be
set statically in this way. See

    http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkSettings.html

for details.

I actually have that file in my home dierctory, and it reads as follows:

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
include "/home/nick/.themes/Clearlooks_Cairo-Breathe/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
 font_name="Verdana 10"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

include "/home/nick/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT

The Clearlooks theme works fine, but I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to have Clearlook use my Nue icons which are located in ~./icons. Any suggestions?