Re: Is it possible to install ftp servers w/o 421 Service not available errors?

Dirk wrote:
Seriously,
I've tried proftpd, vsftpd and another one I don't remember on different
machines (all with debian) and randomly they bitch around giving me 421!

Interesting. What steps (exactly) have you taken? Have you enabled inbound FTP in the /etc/hosts.allow? Are you inetd settings correct? Firewall setup properly?

Is it possible to run a ftp server with debian? Or will I finally have
to switch to FreeBSD like so many did since they've started putting
unstable stuff into 2.6.x.y instead of 2.7.x.

You seem to be confusing the stability of the kernel with the stability of applications. The problem you are having is likely a misconfiguration.

Sorry for being an ass but I'm lightly pissed about Linux turning into a
bitch lately.

It happens.

-Roberto

--