Is it possible to install ftp servers w/o 421 Service not available errors?

Seriously,
I've tried proftpd, vsftpd and another one I don't remember on different
machines (all with debian) and randomly they bitch around giving me 421!

Is it possible to run a ftp server with debian? Or will I finally have
to switch to FreeBSD like so many did since they've started putting
unstable stuff into 2.6.x.y instead of 2.7.x.

Sorry for being an ass but I'm lightly pissed about Linux turning into a
bitch lately.

Dirk