Re: Nvidia Driver Problems

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 16:40:14 +0300, David Baron wrote:
> On Sunday 02 July 2006 15:54, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 13:41:22 +0300, David Baron wrote:
> > > After attempting to use Debian's version which crashed when trying to run
> > > any DRI application, I returned to the same version number from Nvidia.
> > > Works fine ... until the next bootup in which case the X simply does not
> > > start up.

[...]

> > Did you purge the nvidia-glx package? If you only removed it, then you
> > still have the /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx script which messes with the
> > symlink for libglx.so on every reboot. The failure to start X is
> > probably the result of trying to use the nvdidia driver with Xorg's
> > original libglx.so.
>
> Seem to have done it! Thanks.
> I assume the other nvidia file /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel is theirs since it is
> not necessary to have nvidia in /etc/modules (as suggested for the Debian
> install).

I have been using the nvidia installer for more than two years and I
have never had this file in my /etc/init.d/ directory. (My nvidia kernel
module nevertheless gets loaded without an entry in /etc/modules.)

The name suggests that this file comes from an "nvidia-kernel-..."
package. What does "dpkg -S /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel" tell you?
Normally it is not a problem that these files remain in place when a
package is removed, but since you are now using a non-Debian mechanism
to provide the same functionality it might be better to get rid of this
type of cruft. You can easily check if this script is still run during
startup and shutdown:

find -L /etc/rc?.d -samefile /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel

--
Regards,
          Florian