Nvidia Driver Problems

After attempting to use Debian's version which crashed when trying to run any
DRI application, I returned to the same version number from Nvidia. Works
fine ... until the next bootup in which case the X simply does not start up.
The log reveals a nearly complete sequence, no errors. The bootup logcheck
may show:
Jul  2 13:10:57 d_baron kdm: :0[4689]: IO Error in XOpenDisplay
Jul  2 13:10:57 d_baron kdm[4644]: X server for display :0 terminated
unexpectedly
Jul  2 13:10:57 d_baron kdm[4644]: Display :0 cannot be opened
Jul  2 13:10:57 d_baron kdm[4644]: Unable to fire up local display :0;
disabling.

I removed the Debian packages, reinstalled Nvidia's. Worked fine but next
bootup, the same thing. In both cases Nvidia's reinstall says the
installation was "modified" (it was not, not by me).

One problem brought to mind is that the two installations use different
directories for their various pieces. I should "only" have Nvidia's around.

Is this a bug in the most recent version?
What do I do about it? (could go back to previous version which gave me no
trouble at all but that was before installing Debian's).