Re: switching games between fullscreen and window

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 04:10:39PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> At 1148347889 past the epoch, lee wrote:
> > On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 11:19:33AM +0100, Jon Dowland
> > wrote:
> > > Off the top of my head, the program must call SDL_Quit
> > > and re-initialise the SDL subsystem with the new video
> > > mode, so it isn't something that can be easily
> > > shoehorned onto an existing game.
> >
> > If that is really true, I will file a bug report against
> > the SDL library.
>
> Fair enough, but please double-check what I've said first.
> It's quite possible I am wrong :)

That's why I'm asking :) I don't know how I could check that.

> > Besides the great inconvenience, it is a security issue. I
> > want to remain in control of my computer.
>
> I don't agree that it is a security issue.

Why not?

Play Quake4, Doom3 or X2 in fullscreen and have a window pop up, like
from a buddy pounce or a notication from plan, or whatever. If you
have disabled 'zapping' the X11 session, you very likely have to press
the reset button and may loose data.

That utterly sucks.

Now, for example, imagine an MTA that will disable the keyboard and
the mouse in case a mail is received that is larger than 300kb. It
doesn't matter if it's a game doing such things or an MTA. It's a
major security issue that needs to be fixed quickly.

One can argue that the games need to be fixed rather than the library
they are using. That would make for an interesting discussion.

> > Meanwhile, how do I switch between X11 and consoles?
> > Ctrl+Alt+Fn-x doesn't work.
>
> Start "xev" from an X terminal. Give focus to the white
> window that is created and press that key combination. What
> does the terminal readout say? Does it get the keycodes?

It's getting all the keycodes and events.

GH