Re: keeping the same packages on multiple machines

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 06:13:15PM +0200, Christoph Bier wrote:
> Adam Black schrieb am 02.05.2006 17:44:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I am running a P4 desktop and a centrino notebook with Debian sid and
> > I wanted to know what the best way is to keep the same set of packages
> > installed on both machines.  For the initial setup of the laptop, can
> > I install a base system and then rsync /usr and /var/lib/dpkg from the
> > desktop, or is there a different way that is better?
>
> # on your desktop:
> dpkg --get-selections > my-selections.txt
> # copy my-selections.txt to your laptop
>
> # on your laptop:
> dpkg --set-selections < my-selections.txt
> apt-get dselect-upgrade

Useful to know...

I assume that any modifications to the /etc/apt/sources.list file would
need to be copied across to the target system before the upgrade?

I wonder what complications could arise if the two machines are running
different versions of Debian - I am thinking of my i86 Etch install
on my notebook vs the ARM system on my iPAQ.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com