keeping the same packages on multiple machines

Hi

I am running a P4 desktop and a centrino notebook with Debian sid and
I wanted to know what the best way is to keep the same set of packages
installed on both machines.  For the initial setup of the laptop, can
I install a base system and then rsync /usr and /var/lib/dpkg from the
desktop, or is there a different way that is better?

thanks
adam

--
~
in the battle between my demons and my better angels, at least there