Re: rerunning autodetect

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 09:29:21PM -0500, Mark Tilford wrote:
> On 4/30/06, James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> wrote:

> >> (DHCP program runs)
> >> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> >> Bind socket to interface: No such device
> >> exiting.
> >> Failed to bring up eth0.
> >> done.
> >>

> >I think that this means that the name of the interface in
> >/etc/network/interfaces doesn't equal the name of the device on the
> >system.
> >
> >Compare the output of ifconfig with the line auto eth0 or similar in
> >that file.
> >

> The /etc/network/devices lines related to eth0 were:
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> /sbin/ifconfig/eth0 up gives response
> eth0:  ERROR while getting interface flags:  No such device.
>
> What does this error message mean, and how do I fix it?  apt-get is a
> great program, but it's nearly useless until I can get my internet
> connection working.

It means there is no eth0 device .try `ls /dev | grep eth` to see what
eth device you have. If there is none, then you've likely got the
wrong modules loaded. do a `dmesg | grep eth` and see what that
provides. Also `lspci` may provide info on what and where your NIC
is.

You've got to fix the configuration to get the right modules loaded to
see the netwirk interface correctly. To answer your original question,
I don't know how to rerun the detection stuff, but you can do this
yourself without it.