Re: rerunning autodetect

On 4/30/06, James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> wrote:
On (30/04/06 18:35), Mark Tilford wrote:
> On 4/29/06, Mark Tilford <ralphmerridew@gmail.com> wrote:
> >For various reasons, I had to run the installation on one computer,
> >then transfer the hard drive to a different computer.  How do I rerun
> >the code that autodetects hardware (specifically the netword card)?
>
> >From bootup:
> (DHCP program runs)
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> Bind socket to interface: No such device
> exiting.
> Failed to bring up eth0.
> done.

I think that this means that the name of the interface in
/etc/network/interfaces doesn't equal the name of the device on the
system.

Compare the output of ifconfig with the line auto eth0 or similar in
that file.

The /etc/network/devices lines related to eth0 were:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

/sbin/ifconfig/eth0 up gives response
eth0:  ERROR while getting interface flags:  No such device.

What does this error message mean, and how do I fix it?  apt-get is a
great program, but it's nearly useless until I can get my internet
connection working.