Re: packages cannot be authenticated

I had already installed the debian keyring (sorry I neglected to mention
that), and these are the keys it installed (apt-key list):

1024R/1DB114E0
1024D/4F368D5D
1024D/2D230C5F

The problem persisted - however, now it doesn't happen.  I had apt-get
reinstall a couple of packages that consistantly produced the error
message yesterday, and I don't get the error message today.  Go figure.

John
--- Begin Message ---
On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 01:36:13PM -0500, John Biederstedt wrote:
>Hi
>When installing packages with apt-get, I get the message "WARNING: The
>following packages cannot be authenticated!".  I installed the key from
>http://ftp-master.debian.org/ziyi_key_2006.asc into root's (and my own)
>keyring with
>
># cat ziyi_key_2006.asc | gpg --import
>
>I then put the key into apt-key with
>
># gpg --export -a 2D230C5F | apt-key add -
>OK
>
>I still see the "WARNING: The following packages cannot be
>authenticated!" message when installing or updating a package, such as
>
>$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install sudo
>Reading package lists... Done
>Building dependency tree... Done
>0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 2 not
>upgraded.
>Need to get 0B/162kB of archives.
>After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
>Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
>WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>  sudo
>Install these packages without verification [y/N]? n
>E: Some packages could not be authenticated
>
>Am I missing something obvious?  Or is something wrong with how I've
>put the kew key into apt-key?
>
>Any info is greatly appreciated!

Try installing the debian-keyring package if it's missing. Otherwise,
these are the keys I have in my keyring:

 1024R/1DB114E0
 1024D/4F368D5D
 1024D/B5F5BBED
 1024D/2D230C5F

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

This is a company that looks the world's roughest, toughest anti-trust
regulators in the eye and laughs. Compared to anti-trust people,
copyright lawmakers are pantywaists. You can take them with your arm
behind your back.
     -- Cory Doctorow, Microsoft Research DRM talk

--- End Message ---