Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 07:22:30AM -0400, Matthias Julius wrote:
> "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:
>
> > How about food and clothing?  Should the community "provide" those?  How
> > about transportation?
>
> Yes, local phone service, too.  Everything needed to get people off
> the streets and give them a chance to take care of themselfes.
>
> > If people are concerned about their ability to pay for education
> > individually, they can form co-ops.  Basically, you are subsidizing
> > other people's kids going to school.  Even if it doesn't bother you, it
> > bothers me.
>
> While co-ops might help somewhat I don't think they are the solution.
> What does it help when a bunch of poor guys form a co-op?  They still
> would not have funds to send their kids to a private school.  Maybe
> they could hire a teacher.  What do you think where the quality of
> that education goes?

To the bottom.  Exactly where education goes when it is funded by tiny
municipalities.  There will be a few rich communities that pay for rich
education, and there will be impoverished ones that provide
impoverished or no education.  That said, even the rich may not have the
insight to distinguish between good education and expensive education.
Heaven help the education system when loudmouthed parents take over
instead of the most competent.

-- hendrik