System-V style init scripts

I set up a ruleset for iptables v1.2.11 and want to load it automatically at
system start-up. Since I wanted it to act independently, I prefered the Sys-V
way(as opposed to the pre-up/post-down at  /etc/network/interfaces). I
figured that it should be loaded before is started 'networking' and unloaded
after 'networking' is stopped.

What I came to realize is that no kill symbolic link existed for networking

So, my first question is:
  - when does 'networking' come down?

Secondly, I come from a Red Had background and find it hard to understand how
System-V style init scripts are implemented in Debian. For example, in the
most used start/kill link containers such as /etc/rc3.d, /etc/rc5.d no kill
links are present.

Which brings me to my second question:
  - does anyone know of any place I can get insight into the Debian
implementation of initscripts?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Antonis