Re: df discrepencies

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 15:30 +0100, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On Mon, 01 May 2006 09:14:03 -0500
> Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
>
> > charlie derr wrote:
> > > On one of the machines that I oversee there is an issue with the df
> > > output that I don't understand.
> > >
> > > here's a part of the output from df -h
> > >
> > > /dev/sda1             440G  420G     0 100% /backup
> > >
> > > if i don't use the -h it looks like this:
> > >
> > > /dev/sda1            461293804 440335112         0 100% /backup
> > >
> > > It appears that there really are 20Gigs free, but that column shows
> > > 0 -- can i reliably ignore that column and use subtraction with the
> > > previous two to compute the true free space?
> > I'm going on very hazy memory here, but it might give you enough info
> > for googling. If I recall correctly, the system wants at least 10%
> > free for "system overhead"; as 20Gig is only about 5% of your 440Gig
> > partition, that's why it's showing as 100% used.
> >
> > Why rebooting would change this number is beyond me.
> >

> This would make sense with a journaling filesystem such as ext3.
> Immediately after a reboot the journal is empty.

No, the journal is already reserved. It s not writable by any userland
tools I know of. Now "root" can do that, but only if you know what you
are doing and you could easily corrupt your filesystem that way.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.