Re: df discrepencies

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 10:08 -0400, charlie derr wrote:
> On one of the machines that I oversee there is an issue with the df
> output that I don't understand.
>
> here's a part of the output from df -h
>
> /dev/sda1             440G  420G     0 100% /backup
>
> if i don't use the -h it looks like this:
>
> /dev/sda1            461293804 440335112         0 100% /backup
>
> It appears that there really are 20Gigs free, but that column shows 0
> -- can i reliably ignore that column and use subtraction with the
> previous two to compute the true free space?

        dumpe2fs -h /dev/sda1

will show you exactly what is going on. On filesystems I have I want to
use the entire filesystem, I set the reserve to 16384 blocks (making the
reserved amount 64MB on ext3)

You can do this with:

        tune2fs -r 16384 /dev/sda1

I also typically disable max-mount-counts, causing fsck to run only when
unmounted uncleanly or after so much time.

So, really the command I use to for maximizing the amont of disk space
for general user use and so on is as follows:

        tune2fs -r 16384 -c 0 -e continue -i 3456000 /dev/sda1

BTW, 3456000 is 40 days.

> If I clear up enough more diskspace the 4th column will eventually
> show more than 0, but it won't be equivalent to the difference of the
> 2nd
> and 3rd.   My recollection is that rebooting will fix this problem
> (for a while), but I'd prefer not to have to reboot every couple
> weeks.

What are you talking about? That only clears /tmp files from the /
or /tmp directories.

> This machine is running sarge and that partition is ext3 over a RAID5
> array.  I do slip up on occasion and allow this partition to
> completely fill up (not sure if that might be relevant) so that the
> rsync processes that are writing to it fail (because of no more
> remaining disk space).

Please make sure you wan to do this before you go any further. I have
had years and years of working with *NIX and can basically take risks
that other could not, as I understand *WHAT* I am trying to accomplish.
Not that I am saying you don't, just make sure you understand the
consequences, before you do.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.