lost mysql root password

Hi folks,

a while ago I switched over to mysql-5.0, then forgot about it
entirely.  Now I'm back to configuring some programs that use mysql,
and... I can't seem to login as root or any other user.

One option is just that I've forgotten all my passwords (it's been a
while since I used any of the programs directly).  Another is that
some configureation issue has reset permissions or something.  In any
case I would like to avoid losing all my databases, so I'm wondering
whetherthere's any way to force a reset of theroot password, or
decrypt the permissions table, or whatever.

I am *not* a cracker, I'm just a little incompetent.

APpreciate any help you might give.

Thanks,

Matt

 .''`.       Matt Price