Re: Clone root partition

Digby Tarvin wrote:
I did this only yesterday - but in my case I wanted a mirror
image of the entire system, not just the root partition.

The simplest most bullet proof procedure I could come up with was:
1.	dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda
2.	vi /etc/fstab in the copy and 1,$s/hda/sda/
3. either a. edit /boot/grub/menu.lst on the internal drive
	to add a boot obtion passing the USB root to the kernel
	or
	b. if your host supports USB booting, update the boot sector
	on sda to look for the stage 2 boot in the USB partition.

I used for first option, so am not sure if I have covered everything
required for a direct USB boot...

I booted using the USB copy and everything looked to be working fine.

Didn't use 'sync,noerror' in the dd operation because I count on having
perfect media, and if I don't I want to know about it!

Regards,
DigbyT